Try 30 days of free premium.

Split up Hulu / Hulu Japan

markus wrote 6 years ago: 1

Please set the country of Hulu to the US and add a separate web channel for Hulu Japan.

There are currently as many legal entities as there are countries served,
the Japanese Hulu has been sold off in 2014 and in May this year changed its domain name to happyon.jp,
each page (US/JP) is completely geoblocked to the respective country with no shared content,

therefore Hulu Japan is definitely not the same thing as Hulu. Never has been.

Please split the entries to make a few things easier.

If you need a final reason, not even Hulu themselves mention Japan for marketing any more.

JuanArango wrote 6 years ago: 1

markus wrote:
Please set the country of Hulu to the US and add a separate web channel for Hulu Japan.

There are currently as many legal entities as there are countries served,
the Japanese Hulu has been sold off in 2014 and in May this year changed its domain name to happyon.jp,
each page (US/JP) is completely geoblocked to the respective country with no shared content,

therefore Hulu Japan is definitely not the same thing as Hulu. Never has been.

Please split the entries to make a few things easier.

If you need a final reason, not even Hulu themselves mention Japan for marketing any more.

Does HULU Japan produce their own shows?

Or do they just show the HULU shows from the USA?

cheers

Juan

JuanArango wrote:
Does HULU Japan produce their own shows?

Or do they just show the HULU shows from the USA?

Own shows I think, Japanese language only. Apart from that I guess they negotiate their own (local and international) content.
There is zero cross-spillage of Hulu-produced content in either direction.
Hulu Japan just happens to still license the name, with no plans to continue doing so in the future.

markus wrote:
Own shows I think, Japanese language only. Apart from that I guess they negotiate their own (local and international) content.
There is zero cross-spillage of Hulu-produced content in either direction.
Hulu Japan just happens to still license the name, with no plans to continue doing so in the future.

Ok, but to add it to our webchannels only makes sense if they have got own produced shows, otherwise the entry would be empty and pretty much useless :)

In case they produce their own Japanese language content, we need to look at it of course :)

tnt wrote 6 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
Ok, but to add it to our webchannels only makes sense if they have got own produced shows, otherwise the entry would be empty and pretty much useless :)

In case they produce their own Japanese language content, we need to look at it of course :)

I suppose all those shows should be moved to hulu Japan.

tnt wrote:
I suppose all those shows should be moved to hulu Japan.

Yup. That's the Hulu Japan content that's not available in the US.

It is done :)

tnt wrote:

Quick and efficient, tnt did it :)

Excellent!
I'm pretty confident there will be a name change on the Japanese Hulu sooner than later.
Can someone set Hulu to US so I can start adding some air times? :)

gazza911 wrote 6 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:

You forgot to change them at the season level as well ;)

That's been done now.

gazza911 wrote:
You forgot to change them at the season level as well ;)

That's been done now.

Bollocks, always forgetting about this one :) Thanks :)

Can anyone set the Hulu country?

TonyMayhew wrote 6 years ago: 1

markus wrote:
Can anyone set the Hulu country?

It is now set to USA

TonyMayhew wrote:
It is now set to USA

Yeah, but now it creates conflicts in the schedule, because Hulu releases doesn't actually have a fixed release time AFAIK (does it?), and multiple episodes being released at once, overlapping in schedule. Not a big problem though :)

david wrote 6 years ago: 1

If there is no airtime for an episode the field should be left empty, then the episodes won't show up in the schedule.

But yeah, I should disable schedule conflicts for Web Channel shows - that's not really applicable. :)

david wrote:
If there is no airtime for an episode the field should be left empty, then the episodes won't show up in the schedule.

But yeah, I should disable schedule conflicts for Web Channel shows - that's not really applicable. :)

Also, maybe the logic of the schedule for the web channels should be different? If Hulu (for example) releasing some episode on 01:00AM of January 1 (which means the episode became available right after midnight between Dec 31 and Jan 1), and you enter this date/time in the episode fields, it will appear in the schedule on Jan 2 (obviously). Which means that to be displayed correctly, episode date should be set a day earlier, which is really confusing for the most of the users and not really correct.

What I mean is that for the web channels episodes released after midnight in general should be considered part of a present day, not previous, and the day should start at 00:00, not at 05:01AM. I don't know is it possible in the current TVmaze coding, but maybe it's worth considering.

tnt wrote:
Yeah, but now it creates conflicts in the schedule, because Hulu releases doesn't actually have a fixed release time AFAIK (does it?),

It does, usually (for 100% of what I checked so far) at midnight Eastern Time.

tnt wrote:
Also, maybe the logic of the schedule for the web channels should be different? If Hulu (for example) releasing some episode on 01:00AM of January 1 (which means the episode became available right after midnight between Dec 31 and Jan 1), and you enter this date/time in the episode fields, it will appear in the schedule on Jan 2 (obviously). Which means that to be displayed correctly, episode date should be set a day earlier, which is really confusing for the most of the users and not really correct.

You lost me there. Why Jan 2?

markus wrote:
It does, usually (for 100% of what I checked so far) at midnight Eastern Time.

You lost me there. Why Jan 2?

a) It's not a scheduled release, just technical. It could be changed randomly for various reasons without any notice.

b) it's all in the policy: Special care should be taken when episodes air after midnight. To ensure that the episode airdates on TVmaze are in line with the dates used by TV guides and listings worldwide, episodes that start airing after midnight but before 5:00 are considered part of the previous day. For example, if an episode airs after midnight between Monday the 1st and Tuesday the 2nd, the airdate should be set to the 1st; even though technically the proper date would be the 2nd.

In my example if you want the episode to be listed in the schedule at 01:00AM January 1, in the episode itself you should set airdate to December 31.

tnt wrote:

What I mean is that for the web channels episodes released after midnight in general should be considered part of a present day, not previous, and the day should start at 00:00, not at 05:01AM. I don't know is it possible in the current TVmaze coding, but maybe it's worth considering.

Note that this is already the case for web channel shows without airtime. Quoting: Special care should be taken when episodes air after midnight. To ensure that the episode airdates on TVmaze are in line with the dates used by TV guides and listings worldwide, episodes that start airing after midnight but before 5:00 are considered part of the previous day. (...) This only applies to broadcast TV shows or Web Channels that operate in a single country; global Web Channel shows should have their airdate set to the exact date that's announced for them.

Should we also change how country-specific Web Channel episodes should be handled? I don't know, I think it's a bit too early to tell.

tnt wrote:
a) It's not a scheduled release, just technical. It could be changed randomly for various reasons without any notice.

Should we add a rule that Web Channel airtimes can only be added if they are specifically announced - and not because they "usually air at that time"?

Try 30 days of free premium.