Try 30 days of free premium.

Finding Ófærð AKA Trapped when searching for "trapped"

ornest wrote a month ago: 3

If you search for "trapped", you will find shows like Zapped, Stripped and Tracked before you finally find Trapped on the second page of results.

I'm sure coming up with good search results is hard, and there are no hard feeling from me if it will stay like that. I just thought someone might find this interesting and maybe try to do something about it.

Cheers!

gazza911 wrote 29 days ago: 2

This is because an alias (AKA) has less weight than closely spelt words (e.g. Mistype).

The weighting is based on a combination of: exact match, close match, match on AKA, popularity, length of match. So it's a fine balance.

To put it simply, if it was the main title of the show, it would get displayed at the top with the other shows named "Trapped".

ornest wrote 28 days ago: 1

OK, thank you for the explanation.

I guess that makes sense, but wouldn't it make more sense to put more weight on the AKA than on typos? If I can't find something right away because of a typo, that's my bad. If I can't find something because TVmaze thinks I made a typo but I actually didn't, that's TVmaze's fault.

gazza911 wrote 28 days ago: 2

It's hard to take every scenario into account, and I don't have the full picture of how complex the calculation is.

Only @david really knows that, so he'd also be the only one to know what, if any changes could be made. 

david wrote 23 days ago: 4

Thanks for your report! As gazza already said, search is a complicated balance between many variables. But this show highlighted a bug in the search code that's now fixed, which boosted Trapped to the first page of results.

ornest wrote 21 days ago: 1

Awesome! Thank you!

Try 30 days of free premium.